Nike. Just Do It? Well, I did it. Just Saying.

I went to my second class ever at the gym yesterday. It was a 5:15a Strictly Strength class. A friend of mine invited me and without really thinking about it I said, yes. Out loud! Yikes. I was so nervous about it. I told her the only things I did "strictly" were eat Peeps and chips and salsa. I got up and went. Debora was sweet to show me the ropes! And the weights, and mats, and these things that I did not like called Burpees (a really tough exercise). Which brings me to the reason I wanted to blog about this experience. Let me just say first of all I am so glad this class was early in the wee hours cause there were not that many people in the class. Thank goodness. Let me be totally honest. Some of these exercises were a bit tricky! If you are like me and you consider housework "exercise". Folding and hanging clothes. Walking up the stairs to put it away. Exercises. Right? Well, can I just say that yesterday, hello people I just met just forget that my big butt and jiggly jelly was trying to do a jumping jack and not have pee run down my leg cause that is what happens after two kids, and then balance my shoulders on a huge ball while lifting a weight over my head the whole time trying not to roll off! This class was tough for this not normally a worker outer but, I am going on a beach vacay in June and decided I want to look like a fluffy mermaid and not a beached whale so I better get to doing something about it. SO, yes, I took the class! I did it. I know I looked crazy! And clueless. But, I DID IT!! And I wouldn't have if it weren't for Debora!! Thanks, D! She has invited me to Soul Grooves next. I am LOLing at myself already.

After yesterdays, class I got to thinking WHY on earth are the rooms filled with mirrors. Why!? Just saying. And man the instructor makes each exercise "look" so easy!! When she turned down the lights for the cool down it sparked an idea. I think there should be a class in the dark. You stand by your mat and the instructor wears those night vision goggles to make sure you are "doing it right" but, you don't have to worry about looking crazy especially when the 12 lb lady that just had twins is next to you looking like she could be selected to be on workout video she is so good! Yes. Strictly Strength in the Dark. Yeah. I would be in that class weekly for sure.

Thanks again, Debora for encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and shake my jelly in a brightly lit mirrored room filled with strangers. Dang you can get down and do those Burpees, girl! You rock. See ya next week. Did I just say that? I want to do it again. What?

P.S. Today I will not be able to brush my teeth. I am so sore. Forget about lifting much of anything today. ;) But, that is OK because hopefully in June I will be lifting my umbrella drink with a slightly leaner firmer arm.

So, there, Nike. I did just do it and even though I looked crazy I am glad I did.

I'm just saying.


Comments

Emily said…
You rock!!! I always feel nervous in classes too, but they are so worth it!